[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: [OSGeo-Board] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Is OSGeo North America-centric?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Sep 5 10:39:24 PDT 2006

Helena Mitasova wrote:
>Gary wrote:
>> Good point in my opinion. Why do we need German, India etc. chapters
>> but not an USA chapter? Because it's is (to become) an US Foundation.
>> It is not about what OSGeo is, but how it is perceived outside - in some
>> parts of the world. I don't know if OSGeo-USA chapter makes sense, but a
>> bit of bias is there.
>
> I don't think OSGeo-USA chapter makes much sense - state-based chapters
> would be more helpful - we are trying to put together one for NC.

Folks,

I think we have local chapters in Japan, India and China (and
hopefully  other places such as Germany and Brazil soon) so that
members can support members in their own language.  The recent Ottawa
Chapter is an example of a slightly different animal, a local chapter
that mainly exists for face to face support, networking etc. (as I
imagine would be the case with something like a North Caroline chapter).

If we wanted a "American Chapter" or a "Canadian Chapter" I imagine it
would exist primarily to pursue federal level advocacy efforts, but
it isn't clear that the machinery of a chapter is required for that.

I'd say more about north-america-centrism, but then I'm just another
north american male from which we have already heard quite a bit. :-)

Best regards,