[OSGeo-Discuss] Local Chapters

warmerdam at pobox.com warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Apr 12 19:49:46 PDT 2007

Lorenzo Becchi wrote:
> Here my own opinion:
> We agreed that it seem not clear at all what Local Chapters mean and
> they are supposed to do.

Lorenzo,

Yesterday I agreed I wasn't sure what the "purpose" of local chapters
are, though I meant this more in the sense that different folks seem
to have different thoughts on this.  I think the Local Chapter Guidelines
has some excellent suggestions:

     *  Provide member networking opportunities for support and job opportunities
     * Software Internationalization and Localization
     * Development of prototype applications to demonstrate Open Source
geospatial capabilities to local and regional audiences
     * Software Packaging and Customization for local and regional needs
     * Training, Support and Development of e-Learning Contents in local languages
     * Support Open standards and Open access to geospatial data in region
     * Promoting OSGeo and enhancing visibility in various forums

 From my point of view, I think the statement "Think Globally, Act Locally"
applies to some extent.  There are definately some sorts of actions, such
as promotion to new adopters in person, user-to-user support, and advocacy
to government that are sometimes better done locally rather than globally.
I think Local Chapters can play a role in these.

So in a variety of fashions local chapters are an opportunity for folks
to get together and act locally.

All that said, for a lot of these purposes there is not need for any sort
of fancy organization.  In many cases a mailing list and wiki page is
plenty.

> Than Frank Warmerdam argued:

I prefer to think I "dialogued"!

Best regards,