[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: FOSS GIS in India

Lane DeNicola denicola at alum.rpi.edu
Fri Aug 10 05:53:16 PDT 2007

I can corroborate Ravi Kumar's observation on GIS in educational
institutes.  The Indian Institute of Remote Sensing in Dehradun
figured prominently in my dissertation research, and in a conversation
with the dean of the Institute (V. K. Dadwhal) in 2005 he explained
that IIRS had entertained the incorporation of FOSS GIS into their
curriculum, but the institutionalized norms (e.g. proprietary tools)
of the majority of the potential employers of IIRS graduates were by
far the dominant force in making their own selection of tools.

--Lane DeNicola

--
Lane DeNicola
Faculty Fellow in the Humanities