[OSGeo-Discuss] Board Geographic Diversity

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Aug 10 19:02:46 PDT 2007

Hi all: Perhaps this has been discussed before, but... Given the apparent desire to maintain geographic diversity amongst OSgeo leadership perhaps in the future we might consider regionally based board seats. That is, you have representatives from:

North America, Europe, Africa, Asia, South/Central America and Oceania

If the bulk of activity is in North America and Europe then given them two seats. Then you have nominations within a region and so on... Every other year different geographic regions would be up for re-election. As a voting member you'd vote for candidates in each region.

If organizational affiliation diversity is more important (government vs. higher education vs. private sector vs. hobbyist) than geographic diversity then the same idea would apply. We do that here in Minnesota for our state GIS/LIS consortium board. That board also has an at-large seat open to anyone.

Just a thought...

Steve