[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS GIS in India

RAVI KUMAR ravivundavalli at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 21:49:17 PDT 2007

Hi,
"If not for Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and the
initiatives taken at Centre for Ecological Sciences,
the GRASS mirror site in India, would not have
been hosted"

Rightly said.
Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and the initiatives
taken at Centre for Ecological Sciences, is a shining
example of usage and spread of FOSS GIS in India.

Infact this publication (2004 FOSS GIS Seminar,
Bakgkok) was very inspiring.
    "Geographic Resources Decision Support System for
land use, land cover dynamics analysis
    Dr. Ramachandra T.V.
    Uttam Kumar, CES, Indian Institute of Science"
http://gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/grass04/

The IISc also added GRDSS a GIS to the FOSS GIS
arsenal.

Hope this will not remain as one of those rare
examples, and other educational institutes will follow
and benefit from FOSS GIS.

Ravi Kumar