[OSGeo-Discuss] Board and Representational tasks

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Aug 17 08:51:36 PDT 2007

Tim,

I'm in agreement with most of your comments except this one:

Tim Bowden wrote:
>  Personally I think charter membership should be
> opened up to anyone who who wants to apply and can find an existing
> member or two to second their application.  I realise part of the
> rationale for the current structure was to avoid the organisation being
> hijacked, but it would seem that OSGeo has a healthy enough community
> that the risk of that is practically non-existent.  In the (very)
> unlikely event that happened, the exodus of projects, members and
> sponsors from the org would make it nothing but a hollow meaningless
> shell worth nothing to the hijackers.

If all the hijacker wants is to see OSGeo's coordinated efforts fall
apart then the "exodus of projects, members and sponsors" would give
them exactly what they wanted.

I think the current system of charter membership is a necessary
protection that OSGeo needs to maintain, even if it's not perfect.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/