[OSGeo-Discuss] Peer Review Of Patents

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Tue Aug 21 12:23:50 PDT 2007

I have registered with the Peer-To-Patent site:

http://www.peertopatent.org/

This process was very simple, and will now allow me to comment on the
patent applications that are posted to the site for review. I took a
quick look trough the current list of patents under review and didn't
see anything decidedly geospatial. There were, however, three (3) or
four (4) database related patents.

I think this new program really presents a fabulous opportunity for open
source advocates to make a difference in the out-of-control patent
process. It gives us a chance to put our time and effort where our mouth
is. I can't think of a better organization than OSGeo to champion this
cause in the geospatial arena. I'm putting myself up as a point man on
this issue. I'll make an effort to review the patent applications on the
Peer-To-Patent site on a regular basis, and report on any patent
applications that touch on the geospatial realm.

I must admit that I'm probably not the most technically qualified person
for this job, as others have a lot more programming experience than me.
I'm a closet programmer, and not what I would call a "mainstream" or
typical GIS user either. I'd really appreciate help with this effort.

If this list will be disturbed by my reports on patent applications
perhaps a separate mailing list would be appropriate.

Landon (A.K.A. - The Sunburned Surveyor)

Warning: