[OSGeo-Discuss] Integration test bed thingy at FOSS4G

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Thu Aug 23 08:53:14 PDT 2007

I am going to kick off a general discussion with a story, one that I
would like to see prevented ...

You arrive at FOSS4G and are really looking forward to showing off your
new (Web, KML, mashup, gvSig, PostGis, OpenLayer, MapServer, GeoServer,
GeoNetwork, 3D, .... or even DB2 and Oracle). And the question is asked:

Can you show me the "ntdb_roads_50" layer?

Why are you being asked this?

Well it is because the fellow in front of you is wanting to see how well
your software performs, and the last two projects had the same dataset
(and darn if gvSig was not nearly as fast as ArcView) and he would
really like to see your project handle the same information.

For more information please bother my friend jdeolive at openplans.org and
visit the following page:
- http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FOSS4G2007_IntegrationShowcase

Remember if you don't download this data, and put it on your laptop
before the conference, you will just be trying to figure out what this
stuff is (and how to make your application look good with it) at the
conference.

Jody
PS. I am really hoping that anyone good at MapServer will take a run at
the problem.