[OSGeo-Discuss] Return on Equity

P Kishor punkish at eidesis.org
Tue Aug 28 20:39:52 PDT 2007

Very well written Howard. In tribute to your writing, I will promptly
snitch some ideas from your writing below.

I have been tackling this issue of "selling" open geospatial,
particularly to agencies for whom generally financial cost is a
non-issue. I try to tell them that in most "classes" open source is
the best-of-class technologies no matter what yardstick you measure it
against. The defining characteristic, of course, is the
mob-intelligence quotient. But how do you measure the quality of
knowledge produced collaboratively? There is no gross salary number
that can be divided by the staff hours. There is no cash-flow, free
money, ROE of the contributors... there is return on investment that
can be measured, but usually only after the investment. SLOCs (source
line of code) is one measure, but in the world which strives to write
as few lines of code to accomplish a task, usually a measure of better
software, fewer SLOC would actually be a better indicator of the
quality.

If someone can condense the qualities of open source to a sound-bite,
that would be great, but I have been unable to do so. I find that
there is a story behind open source, and that story takes time
telling, particularly to those who are not familiar with it. For that,
one needs to cultivate relationships so folks can become willing to
give their time to listen to the story.

I have been shaping my story along the lines of technology, law, and
culture. Open source, unlike other forms of knowledge-production, has
innovated along all of these three axes... novel forms of technologies
created through novel forms of technologies, innovative legal regimes
that are continuously evolving participatively, and a culture, an
ethos, that fundamentally believes that sharing is better than not
sharing.

--
Puneet Kishor
http://punkish.eidesis.org/