[OSGeo-Discuss] Return on Equity

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Wed Aug 29 08:07:29 PDT 2007

Sean Gillies wrote:
> Dave Patton wrote:

>> The actual dollar number that you come up with will depend on various
>> factors, but you can argue that both the 500+ registrants for the
>> conference, and the conference's Sponsors/Exhibitors are all
>> contributing financially to OSGeo.

> I'm contributing financially to OSGeo? How much? I don't remember
> reading anywhere on the conference website that the event is about OSGeo
> revenue.

Well, I didn't say it was "about OSGeo revenue" :-)

"FOSS4G is presented annually by the
Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo)."

There is of course a difference between "gross revenue"
and "net revenue" for something like a conference, where
there a lots of expenses, however, if the gross revenue
is shown on the OSGeo balance sheet, it can help make the
case that Autodesk isn't the only significant source of
revenue, even if the end result of the conference is
that it is 'revenue neutral'[1].

[1]
http://www.osgeo.org/files/conference/osgeo-conference-2007-request-for-proposal.pdf
"OSGeo may also be in a position to provide some bridge
funding and take on liability for conference shortfalls
should attendance fall short. It is, however, intended
that the conference be essentially revenue neutral
after completion."

--
Dave Patton

Degree Confluence Project: