[OSGeo-Discuss] MapServer Vs GeoServer

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) bartvde at osgis.nl
Fri Feb 9 07:20:47 EST 2007

IMHO in general Mapserver is better at WMS, Geoserver is better at WFS.
Although I must admit I haven't checked Geoserver's WMS capabilities in
a while.

One big difference is that Geoserver supports WFS-T, i.e. transactional
WFS, and Mapserver does not.

Mapserver is not very efficient against database sources for WFS (uses 1
SQL statement per feature retrieved), Geoserver does much better in that
area. This is especially true for attribute queries in WFS.

And ofcourse there is the technology difference, CGI versus J2EE, which
could influence a decision. Sometimes I meet organizations who don't
want CGI's, but ofcourse have no problem with J2EE.

Best regards,
Bart

--
Bart van den Eijnden