[OSGeo-Discuss] FW: [OSM-talk] The State of the Map

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 02:26:39 PST 2007

SteveC,
OpenStreetMap has built an enviable project and community and maps, and
as you say, you have done this by focusing on your end goals of building
maps. You have achieved the use case which drew me to maps in the first
place and the creation of Mapbuilder. I take my hat off to you.

Your points about technology are valid, but for the moment I'd prefer to
focus on communities.

The OSM community contains thousands(?) of grass roots mappers,
developers and some great maps.

The OSGeo community contains hundreds of software developers and  OSGeo
projects often contains the support of Governments and Commercial
projects through bodies like the OGC.

What would it take to bring these two communities together?
Maybe the development of an OSM equivalent of the WFS-T using OSM protocols?

What can be gained by such a merger?
1. OSM is likely to attract external sponsorship?
2. Both projects will develop faster if they are sharing programmers and
heading toward common goals.
3. OSGeo projects will get better access to OSM type data.