[OSGeo-Discuss] any suggestion of GIS magazine?

Jeff Thurston thurston at t-online.de
Mon Feb 19 11:49:10 PST 2007

Since the issue of Geoconnexion International Magazine has been
mentioned, I would like to respond.

As the editor of the magazine, I will say that the content is very
mixed and varied. There are a significant number of articles
pertaining to both large and small companies and projects. Topics in
recent times have included context mapping, FDO use in software, GML,
CityGML, open architectures, standards etc. While we have changed
direction, it needs to go further in my view.

My approach (ie. OGC, Open Source and other similar bodies), has been
to find the users, manufacturers and developers of those technologies
and support their work through publishing their material. The bottom
line being, if it works, helps people and solves their problems, then
that is the point, I can say that there are many talented people also
doing work that is not wholly open source as well, and a significant
portion of them speak about 'openness' a great deal.

The bottom line is that our magazine stretches throughout Europe,
extends into Middle East and Africa and North America as well. It
must pay the bills to produce it. I believe we distribute more
magazines than any other in Europe.

I'll make the Open Source community a challenge. If it can produce
and deliver a column every month (or every other month), I'll include
it in the magazine.

The topic can be the communities choice, though I retain final editor
rights. My suggestion is to revolve your column among the whole
community, but it's up to you.

I welcome your participation.

Happy reading,

Jeff