[OSGeo-Discuss] Google Summer of Code followup - how much details is needed?

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Mon Feb 26 19:29:58 PST 2007

Here is the link to the previous years ideas:
- http://www.refractions.net/soc2006/ (you need a single page per
organization)
- http://www.refractions.net/soc2006/index.php?PostgisIdeas
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/HACK/Summer+of+Code

As an example here is the kind of thing that was not quite specific enough:
> IDEA: Got GPS?
>
> If so lets get those GPS Tracks on the map with a new "Import" plugin,
> the result can be packaged as a custom RCP application "powered by uDig".

And here is one that was successful:
> IDEA: More coverage formats? GDAL and ImageIO.
>
> Hiding GDAL library behind ImageIO plugins would be a tremendous hit
> since it would allow developers to access many different coverage
> formats and to manipulate them through JAI extensible architecture.
>
> Here you have some useful info about the mentioned libraries:
> GDAL - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library is for sure the most
> powerful translator library for raster geospatial data formats. There
> is a huge ongoing work for building Java-bindings using SWIG in order
> to fully eploit its power inside java applications.
> JAI – Java Advanced Imaging "provides a set of object-oriented
> interfaces that support a simple, high-level programming model which
> lets you manipulate images easily".
> ImageIO – JAI Image IO tools is the library providing the tools for
> performing I/O following the JAI pull model
Hope this helps,
Jody