[OSGeo-Discuss] Fw: Re: New Google Mapping Patent

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Tue Jan 9 09:20:38 PST 2007

Frank,

You make some excellent points.

I was only thinking that a patent might be easier to challenge during
the application process than after it was granted.

I know I would probably be better of investing my time on the open
source projects I work with.

Still, I find it disturbing that companies like Google feel the need to
apply for patents on what seems to be to use of pretty basic
cartographic principles. I'll leave this topic open for more discussion.
Perhaps I'll throw up a post about it in my OpenJUMP blog this week.

Landon