[OSGeo-Discuss] standard for pushing data from GPS device to a web service

Anton Martchukov public at martchukov.com
Sun Jan 21 02:13:14 PST 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 09:06:53PM -0500, Allan Doyle wrote:
> >>I think using a globally unique id to identify each gps unit would be
> >>fine.
> >
> >Rich,
> >
> >Do you know any such GUID defined for GPS units?
>
> The bluetooth MAC address will be unique. Not sure what to do about
> serial port GPS's. Maybe use something like your domain name? Java
> style - net.loskot.mateusz.gps

Basically, since no existing protocol was suggested and so
we will be stuck with developing our own one for interaction
between network-enabled GPS unit and the server, we will use
SOAP and HTTP authentication scheme.

In HTTP authentication we can use text string as login that
is some unique GPS id (at least in the scope of given
server).

Since it looks like no global GPS unit MAC/id already exists,
we need some authority that can control the process of
assignment of such ids if we want them to be globally
unique.

Our another way it's possible to adopt some existing
identifier authority for those purposes. Application
enterprise numbers assigned by IANA for purposes of LDAP,
SNMP and maybe some other protocols comes to mind. I think
that it should be possible to use IANA assigned numbers for
this. Everyone, who want to develop such network-enabled GPS
unit, will have to request a number in IANA and then assign
numbers for each unit within it's own namespace he got from
IANA. That will work just like MAC addresses work.

But, can someone advocate the necessity of using globally
unique ids for units? At this time, we think about just
letting user gonfigure any login/password pair on the device
and than register it on the server.

--
Anton Martchukov                     http://www.martchukov.com
0xFC4FBF28  96BC 3DAB 231A 7FCC 4F49  D783 9A69 65C1 FC4F BF28