[OSGeo-Discuss] standard for pushing data from GPS device to a web service

Paulo Marcondes paulomarcondes at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 15:42:36 PST 2007

2007/1/19, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net>:

> But above, I'm not talking about identifying satellites,
> but identifying GPS receiver unit in global.

My bad. I didn't got what you meant.

> BTW, gpsd is a great piece of software but...
> "No, we don't support Windows — get a better operating system. "

Pretty understandable, as Eric Raymond is one of the GPSd heads... =]

> Also, in my opinion gpsd brings unnecessary components for mobile
> solutions, like daemon. Usually, you don't need to use your PDA with
> more than one GPS unit.

People are using gpsd in embedded systems, so it may fit you purpose
as well - just reporting what I've read on lists, no experience
myself.

> Talking about solution for mobile devices, I think it's
> reasonable to consider development of dedicated solution (NMEA parser +
> GPS data reader listening on serial/usb/virtual ports + simple
> mapping to usable structures ie. C/C++ types).

Have a look at the libs provided with gpsd, some may already do some
things that you may need.

Have a talk with people at gpsd at lists.berlios.de, someone might have a clue.
I clearly don't.
--