[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGEO & OGC spec development

Jeroen Ticheler Jeroen.Ticheler at fao.org
Mon Jul 16 14:12:24 PDT 2007

Hi all,
Last week I attended the Open Geospatial Consortium Technical
Committee (OGC-TC) meeting in Paris.

For those not to familiar with this meeting, it consists of a series
of Working Group (WG) meetings that mostly run around the development
of specifications (or standards if you wish) dealing with geo-
informatics. The most prominent specifications coming from OGC are
Web Map Service (WMS), Web Feature Service (WFS) and Geographic
Markup Language (GML). There's a whole list of other specs available
or under development. OSGEO projects work with a substantial number
of them. See http://www.opengeospatial org for more details.

With this email I would like to touch upon two issues that I think
are relevant to OSGEO. I hope bringing this up can trigger some
discussion on how OSGEO would best benefit from the OGC spec
development process:

1- Discussions related to Google's KML and Web Map Context
2- Discussions related to a Tiled Web Map Service specifications

There was discussion on the possibility that KML becomes an OGC
specification and, more importantly, that it could be used to replace
the wining Web Map Context (WMC) specification. A number of OSGEO
projects use the Styled Layer Descriptors (SLD (symbology))
specification and the WMC. There's a great deal of overlap between
these and KML. It is likely in the interest of these projects to
share their experience with OGC and see some of that reflected in
future OGC specs.

There was also discussion about a new Tiled WMS specification. Such
spec can have different forms, and could be conceived as a new spec
or as an extension (or application profile) of a Web Map Service. Two
approaches were presented and two other approaches were mentioned,
among which the approach taken within the OSGEO community.

Observing these discussions, my impression is that OSGEO has an
important role to play in the further development of these OGC specs.
We can obviously take the easy route and let OGC go its way. We could
than come up with in-house, open specifications that will compete
with OGC specs still under development. The development of the specs
is likely to be quicker than going through OGC. However, I feel that
with limited effort by the community we can have a very positive
influence on the OGC spec development. We can make sure experiences
in OSGEO are reflected in the OGC specs. The WMS-T is an obvious
example of this. It was kind of frustrating to not see that
experience properly represented at the WMS-WG.

OSGEO is very young still, so frustration is not an expression of
dissatisfaction in this case :-) rather, I think it might be time to
establish a way to formally represent OSGEO in OGC. This could be
through those OSGEO members that already hold a TC level membership
to OGC (the logical first step I would think) and later possibly
through a direct OSGEO TC Membership to OGC. Also, we could consider
a focal point in OSGEO where specification development is discussed
and coordinated. This may have the form of a Committee for instance.
I'm hesitant to propose new Committees, but if there's enough
interest to have a central coordination point dealing with standards
and specs, it may make sense :-)

Greetings from Rome,
Jeroen

Jeroen Ticheler