[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGEO & OGC spec development

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Tue Jul 17 19:59:39 PDT 2007

Landon Blake wrote:
> It appears that some of my concerns about problems with OGC membership
> remain in place. I'm disappointed to learn that non-members are no
> longer allowed to join in the discussion.
>
> The individual membership option also presents challenges for some open
> source developers

> I imagine this could also present some problems for some of our OSGeo
> members.
>
> In the end, I think the OSGeo membership system is far superior to the
> one at the OGC. It is based on participation and qualifications, not on
> money.

> Perhaps the OSGeo could approach the OGC about some form of alternative
> membership system for open source projects.

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER"
Groucho Marx

The one thing you can say about OGC membership, which requires money,
is that all the members are qualified, because they paid their money.

Of course having money, in and of itself, in no way qualifies anyone
to participate in 'standards development'.

By the same token, membership in OSGeo, in and of itself, in no way
qualifies anyone to participate in 'standards development'.

Whether or not OSGeo should become a member of OGC is a matter for
discussion by OSGeo members and members of the public, and ultimately
a decision by the OSGeo board.

Whatever the decision, that shouldn't lessen the advocacy for
'reasonable and practical standards' by people who may be both
OSGeo and OGC members.

--
Dave Patton

Degree Confluence Project: