[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGEO & OGC spec development

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Thu Jul 19 09:35:10 PDT 2007

P Kishor wrote:,

> Might I ask, what will a separate list accomplish that posting on just
> the main OSGeo list won't? Standards are a sufficiently important
> subject that all should be concerned with it, and definitely
> knowledgeable about.

well I see there are good reasons from all sides.

I guess that for announcements there is the announcements list;   IMO
standards is a pretty complex thread and could cause a high traffic time
to time.
There are 4 OGC meeting a year, would be nice to coordinate for each
meeting and give support to subscribed participants filling
recommendation or whatever else.
The coordination can go from a very technical level, as for each
standard specification,  to a very practical one (who will attend
meetings, when, who can support even offering a bed, whatever...).
This is the grade of coordination I dream to reach. I don't know if
there is the critical mass to start such a debate but I hope it.
If we are at least 10 persons interested to reach such a target, who
knows when, I guess a dedicated list would be useful.

Then the Wiki can be very useful too.

I have to admit I still don't know which is the level of support I can
give to such an initiative, I'm a lamer on many aspects about standards.
Anyway I've lately spent and I'll spend a lot of time playing/developing
on OGC standards in the near future and I hope to have soon a better
overview of standards related issues.

we can always decide it is not yet the moment to try to coordinate.

Zàijiàn
Lorenzo