[OSGeo-Discuss] Windows verse Linux

Leonardo Mateo leonardomateo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 15:04:13 PDT 2007

On 6/19/07, Zachary L. Stauber <zachary at stauber.org> wrote:
> I've found actually that PostGIS runs as stable under Windows as it does
> under Linux, and it's easier to install, plus it's more up to date.
You can have a development snapshot built from sources on Linux easier
than on Windows. Do you want more up to date?
  The
> RPM's for Fedora are always six months behind what is available in tgz form.
> I couldn't find the information to get PostGIS RPM working under Linux, but
> under Windows it was a 1 minute install and it was all done for me.  Also it
> was easier to set security under Windows.  Under Linux I had to change it in
> several places to be able to connect LOCALLY, even though I could connect
> from other machines.
Once again, a "nice" GUI. I have it working built from sources and
installed from packages on Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu Server and Arch
and configuration is just about changing a few values on a text file,
just as windows version does, but with a GUI.

--
Leonardo Mateo.
There's no place like ~