[OSGeo-Discuss] making a living with OS geo software

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Wed Jun 20 08:57:17 PDT 2007

Pierre,

I think there are basically two or three approaches you can take.

[1] Go "specialized" and focus on one or two related open source GIS
applications. Then focus on offering training and support for those
products.

[2] Take a more "jack of all trades" approach, and offer more general
consulting services for organizations exploring open source geospatial
solutions.

[3] Focus not on a specific piece of software, but on a particular
application of GIS. For example, become an expert in parcel management
with GIS, or fleet tracking with GIS, or precision agriculture with GIS,
or...

I personally think you'll be more successful with the first or third
approach. Gain expertise in a particular niche and your reputation for
expertise will bring you business.

I'd like to do the same thing that you have discussed at some point in
the future, at least on a part time basis. If you would like you can
contact me at sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com and I can discuss some of the
ideas I had for starting a similar type of enterprise.

Landon

P.S. - If you don't know any programming start learning now. You are
going to need it.