[OSGeo-Discuss] Software Standards - The Ugly Truth

Blammo bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Fri Jun 22 19:27:20 PDT 2007

Landon,

Hmmm, interesting read.

Didn't offend me at all.  It actually hit on a few sweet spots of
interest of mine.  One being, that just because everyone else is using
it, doesn't mean it's the right thing to use.

One thing I will rant at you about though, is you didn't really get to
the heart of providing a solution.   I think a good measure of the
problem is that there is a Chicken and Egg scenario to deal with, where
you can't build a (good) standard until you have users of the standard,
and you can't have users until there's a standard to use.   Seems like
things need to go back and forth a while between the "user" and "build"
cycles before something (really) good comes of it.

I'm not sure what to do about the monetary aspects of the Standards
participation.  But in the end, they are only successfully implemented
if the developer community implements them.

I've built my fair share of what I would like to think were good
standards that I thought someone else might benefit from, but I've not
had the time nor resources to promote my ideas and settled with
implementing them within my sphere of influence instead.  The OGC
standards that I've used have all provided a measure of improvement to
my systems, they have also increased my user base as well as sources of
data considerably of late.  They are however not perfect in many
respects, some on the technical side, as well as some probably being to
subtle to affect the masses.

I'm in complete alignment with your thinking though related to bad (or
poorly thought out) standards having a stifling affect on innovation.
There have been many times in the recent past where I've wanted to try
some things new and different, only to discover that the standards were
holding me at bay on one point or another.

It seems like we're at a point where we should try to identify the
shortcomings and run through a "user" and "build" cycle and see what
comes of it.  Doesn't need to necessarily be under the direction of the
OGC either.

All it takes is enough users.

Bob Basques