[OSGeo-Discuss] Board Elections Process

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Fri Mar 2 10:06:30 PST 2007

I think the page should have some information about responsibilities
of the board to the outside world, not just what the board does for
the organization.

A US Public Charity is not taxed because the law considers the
benefit of the charity's works merits special treatment. However,
that means that the charity also has a different set of obligations
than a regular corporation. The board is ultimately legally
responsible for ensuring that the charity operates based on those
obligations.

Here's what the Massachusetts Division of Public Charities has to
offer on this topic:
http://www.ago.state.ma.us/filelibrary/Charityboard.html

It really boils down to making sure the board knows what's happening
with the charity's money.

Do we still have access to the services of Autodesk's legal staff?
Can they help develop a bit of material that could serve as a
checklist of board responsibilities? Also, do non-US board members
legally share these responsibilities and what are the implications if
they do and what are the implications if they don't?

	Allan