[OSGeo-Discuss] "Free"

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) bartvde at osgis.nl
Fri Mar 2 11:28:18 PST 2007

I guess the answer to my question is in their FAQ:

10. Is it possible to deploy MapViewer on a 3rd party application server
such
as JBoss?
This is not supported or recommended. However users have successfully
deployed the mapviewer.ear file downloaded from OTN into a 3rd party J2EE
compliant container, such as JBoss. You will need the Oracle JDBC driver
(classes12.jar or ojdbc14.jar) and Oracle XML parser (xmlparserv2.jar)
in the
J2EE container's library path. The latest versions of both should work.
Note that for WebLogic, it appears that you must manually unpack the
mapviewer.ear file and then deploy from the unpacked directory. If you
deploy
from the mapviewer.ear to WebLogic MapViewer will not initialize properly.

Best regards,
Bart

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) schreef:
> Doesn't the Oracle Mapviewer depend on the Oracle Application Server?
>
> I can't imagine the last one is free, or did I miss something?
>
> Best regards,
> Bart
>
> Paul Ramsey schreef:
>> Oracle has submitted this workshop proposal to the "Free and Open Source
>> Software for Geospatial 2007 Conference".
>>
>>   Developing GeoSpatial applications for Oracle XE
>>   (the free Express Edition of the Oracle database).
>>
>>   This workshop describes how to use Oracle Database
>>   Express Edition (XE) and Oracle MapViewer to develop a
>>   simple yet powerful geospatial web application called
>>   “Geo Tags”. Documents (photos, pdf or word docs,
>>   video clips) are geo-tagged and stored in the database.
>>   MapViewer displays the locations referenced in the
>>   geo-tags and retrieves documents at, or within,
>>   a user specified location.
>>
>> Looks great to me! I would go (hope it's not cross scheduled with
>> *my* workshop...). And the software they are showing is free. So, a
>> perfect fit.

Bart van den Eijnden
OSGIS, Open Source GIS
bartvde at osgis.nl