[OSGeo-Discuss] "Free"

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Mar 5 10:26:09 PST 2007

ross s wrote:
> Just to add a bit more spice to the discussion.  I think the root
> problem here is a definition amoung open source purists.  Jeff Thurston
> has added some interesting points to his blog (below).
>
> ---
> So? is your ?free? more pure than my ?free?? Is there a ?free-o-meter?
> or something about?

Folks,

Yes, there is a free-o-meter.  If the licensing of software meetings the
requirements of the open source definition then the software is free (in
the open source sense).  Otherwise it is just not.

I have no problem with workshops about mixing free (aka open source) and
proprietary software.  Lots and lots of foss software works with Oracle, so
show that link in action!  But I don't feel the conference should have
substantial content that is strictly proprietary without so much as an
open source fig-leaf.

The lack of understanding of what we mean by free just demonstrates the
need for additional outreach by OSGeo.

Best regards,