[OSGeo-Discuss] "Free"

Chip Mefford cmefford at eruditium.org
Mon Mar 5 11:38:16 PST 2007

Ned Horning wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2007, at 13:26, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>
>> The lack of understanding of what we mean by free just demonstrates the
>> need for additional outreach by OSGeo.
>
> I am still trying to get my head around the "free and open source" concept.
> I've been through the Free Software Foundation site and although I think the
> free software movement is great I still don't see why it can't be thought of
> as a subset of open source.

Simply put, because it is not a subset of open source.

>>From my perspective, being more of an open source consumer than a producer,
> it seems silly to use "free and open source". It creates a good deal of
> unnecessary confusion to those outside of the free/open source community. It
> seems that the "free" movement focuses on the philosophical differences
> which is fine but can't folks with different philosophies co-exist under the
> "open source" umbrella? Aren't all of the licenses that are endorsed by the
> FSF also endorsed by the "open source" community?

Free software, almost by definition is open source.

Open source software is just that, software where the source code
is open. Such software may be encumbered by patents, and many other
restrictions.

> As far as OSGeo outreach goes, should we use "free and open source" or just
> "open source" and explain what "free" means within a definition of open
> source? So far it seems to be inconstantly used within OSGeo. Would it make
> sense to think of the "free 4 geo" community as the radical arm of OSGeo :)

In general, Open Source software is just that.
Free Open Source software, often referred to FOSS is open source
software that is also free, as in free speech. Some folks (such
as myself) like to buttonhole it even further as FLOSS or
Free/Libre Open Source software. Libre to define it as free
as in speech, rather than free as in beer.

> PS. What is the "correct" term for software that doesn't cost anything but
> is closed (like MultiSpec and 3DEM)? Freeware?

Proprietary.