[OSGeo-Discuss] Promoting freely available geodata

nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Wed Mar 28 15:22:50 PDT 2007

discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org wrote on 28/03/2007 04:45:26 PM:

> On of the aims of OSGeo is the promotion of open geodata.  From
> conversations I've had with various people over time it appears one of
> the difficulties data providers may have with this is licensing.
> There's no obvious candidate license for open geodata.  Do we need
> something like OSI approved licenses for geodata?  Are there any
> existing OSI licenses that suit?  If so, we should be pointing to them.
> Do we need input from those with a legal clue?  Should we be talking to
> OSI about this?

> Just thought I'd raise the issue and see what others think.

> Tim Bowden

I can report that the government in Queensland, Australia is
considering the creative commons liscence for releasing publically-
available geodata. It is not final, but close to it.

nick

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads,
Queensland Transport or Maritime Safety Queensland, or
endorsed organisations utilising the same infrastructure.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error,
please immediately notify the sender and delete the message
from your computer.