[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: FOSS4G 2007 Workshop Submission

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Mar 29 09:12:14 PDT 2007

I'm sorry, but I don't have many other doors to open, and I cannot
imagine you truly expected me to find alternative arrangements for all
22 3-hour workshops that did not make the 12.  For every point
("GeoNetwork is an OSGeo project") there is a counterpoint ("MapWindow
is a popular project you OSGeo guys are ignoring!").

I have enough computers for 6 labs, which translates to 12 sessions.  In
order to make EVEN MORE room we added the "short" format, now known as
"labs", which added another 16 slots (2 tracks throughout the
presentation portion of the conference). And we gave submitters the
option of choosing which formats they felt they could use.

The long-format workshops had to be chosen and slotted ahead of
registration because people are going to be PAYING for them, and we want
them to get what they request. Perhaps next year the organizers can
attempt Dan's choose-first-optimize-later approach, which has the
benefit of reflecting actual demand from attendees and the drawback of
higher organizational complexity.

The short format labs are not going to be scheduled until the program is
made in July, and therefore subject to more potential change, should
someone drop out of that list.

Paul