[OSGeo-Discuss] Promoting freely available geodata

Ned Horning nedh at lightlink.com
Fri Mar 30 17:35:29 PDT 2007

Chris,

Thanks for the overview of your conversation. I appreciate your effort to
contact these folks. This is something I'm trying to get my head around but
without much success.

Do you (or anyone else out there) have a sense for the difference between
(scientific) data and maps? If I create a land cover or land cover change
map in digital format is that data or a map? What about a DEM? When you talk
about data is it limited to data directly recorded by an instrument or does
it include something interpreted or modeled using human input? Once a human
gets involved does it become "creative"? I would argue that most interpreted
data (i.e., just about any geospatial data not directly recorded by a
sensor) are creative works not unlike a copyrighted written description of
something.

I also wonder about "facts" (and fiction). Can facts have error? How much?
Is it factual if the error is documented in the metadata?

Of course, I'm out of my area of expertise here so maybe I'm talking
nonsense. Maybe I'm panicking because I'm using the CC license for some map
data sets I've created for other organizations.

Ned