[Geodata] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Promoting freely available geodata

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 12:49:28 PDT 2007

On 3/30/07, Jason Birch <Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca> wrote:

> Kamloops (Canadian municipality) takes an interesting approach.  They have a click-through, but it's not asserting any rights, just disclaiming liability.  Their GIS manager explained that they are essentially placing the data into public domain:

I like the Kamloops language and may barrow a bit of it (assuming it's
not copyrighted <g>). Below is a link to some language I wrote, and
that has been out there for about 10 years. I am not suggesting that
it is exemplary because I'm sure not a lawyer, but it has a unique
clause requiring reciprocal data sharing by users. The county for
which I wrote the statement requires surveyors and engineers to
provide digital files (AutoCad, etc.) for new subdivisions and other
developments.

   http://www2.tetonwyo.org/gis/download/default.asp

Rich

--