[OSGeo-Discuss] Supporting new projects

Bob Basques bob.b at gritechnologies.com
Mon Oct 1 09:35:58 PDT 2007

All,

I've been reading this thread from the start.  Very interested since I
just submitted an application for a Incubation project.

I have to side with Paul too, our application project is compared (on
the surface) to OpenLayers to whom ever we show it to.  While on the
surface it looks to operate very much like OpenLayers, it's a different
approach to services, integration and data organization on the whole.
And we feel there is a need for this type of approach that is different
than the one taken by OpenLayers.

Also, I believe that there are some flaws with the coding approach in
some cases for OpenLayers.  I'm trying not to downplay Openlayers here,
but I believe that Open Layers is at the point of a re-write as well.
Our project is at it's third version of a rewrite for example and has
ended up very stable, with a very small foot printed related to it's
capabilities.

Recently we've been discussing using the OpenLayers tiling "get" methods
for incorporation into our package, but some concerns about memory leaks
and coding methodologies are cause for concern by our team.

In short, pointing potential users at any one application/package is not
going to promote innovations and the overall code stack will suffer
because of it.  Making the strengtha and weakness know would be a much
better approach.  Some thing I think could have an effect on the
GeoOpenSource space, would be to have a review process for new projects
that OSGEO could manage.  Even doing followups over time on project of
user interest would help too.  Treat it just like a electronic magazine
and generate review articles about new and ongoing project.  Much better
way to inform new and potential users I think.

bobb