[OSGeo-Discuss] Supporting new projects

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Oct 1 11:45:03 PDT 2007

On 1-Oct-07, at 2:03 PM, Howard Butler wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2007, at 4:10 PM, Paul Spencer wrote:
>
>> What do others think about this?  Should OSGeo be in the business
>> of helping new OSGeo projects get off the ground?
>
> I don't think OSGeo should generally be in the business of getting
> new projects off the ground.  I think a project should establish
> *itself* as a viable development entity before entertaining a
> relationship with OSGeo.
>
> OSGeo promoting startup project "Foo" has the effect of giving it
> equal weight to all of the other projects within OSGeo.  In my
> opinion, this has the effect of weakening OSGeo's promotional
> authority and providing an unnatural advantage to the Foo project.
> Growth that is too fast for a project can be just as detrimental as
> growth that is too slow.  A project jumping into OSGeo and having
> it provide "umph" for the project disrupts the organic growth that
> I think is necessary for a project to become viable and
> successful.  A project must find its niche on its own and garner
> development and developer traction because it fills a need, not
> because OSGeo says "you should use this great new thing because ...".
>
> OSGeo's provides infrastructure to its member projects as an
> enticement to join.  There are many options for a project's
> infrastructure, with everything from sourceforge to google code to
> standing up your own.  OSGeo's infrastructure approach stands out
> because a project can collectively leverage other project's
> infrastructure while still having the flexibility to do pretty much
> whatever you want (given time/resources/volunteers).  OSGeo's
> infrastructure is not a push-button operation though, and I don't
> think it would be as successful if it were (dealing with Google
> code or sourceforge is going to be much simpler than trying to deal
> with us, frankly).
>
> I think a project needs to read Fogel (http://producingoss.com/),
> find its niche, grow a community around the development of the
> software, and then look to OSGeo for promotional, infrastructure,
> legal, and other support.

Thanks Howard.  What I am concerned with is people who have a great
idea but don't know what to do with it, or how one goes about
establishing a viable community.  The people that I spoke with last
week didn't know how to get started.  I am convinced that there are
more people, especially outside north america, who can't make it to
FOSS4G just to ask someone.  Not reaching out a helping hand to those
projects seems a little harsh to me.

Maybe it is enough to have a section on the OSGeo web site something
like:

'Have a Great Idea?'

Here's how you can get started ...

1. read the following web sites ...

2. get a home at sourceforge or ... or ...

3. promote yourself on the following lists: ...

Paul