[OSGeo-Discuss] Supporting new projects

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 14:32:01 PDT 2007

Should OSGeo be the Ubuntu of Debian of Geospatial?

Ubuntu focuses on USERS by pre-selecting and recommending best of breed
software.
Debian and other Linux distributions focused more on DEVELOPERS by
"letting many flowers bloom".

Consequently, Ubuntu has attracted a large user following and increased
Open Source uptake.

OSGeo priorities should be to USERS first, developers second.

As noted by others, OSGeo human resources are limited and although it
would be nice to help everyone we will be more effective by focusing on
our priorities.

In practice I suggest:
1. Offer OSGeo infrastructure to new projects (low cost to us) but not
much more until the project is stable and reaching incubation quality.

2. Encourage projects to work together and amalgamate libraries  rather
than spawning and splitting our developers, user bases, and sponsors.
Starting a new project often has short term gains, but is detrimental to
the community long term. Chris explained this is more detail.

--
Cameron Shorter
Systems Architect, http://lisasoft.com.au