[OSGeo-Discuss] Supporting new projects

Julien-Samuel Lacroix jlacroix at mapgears.com
Tue Oct 2 07:54:16 PDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> For promotion, well, I'm kind of with Cameron that
> our "front page recommendations" need to be
> reserved for projects in which we have a lot of
> faith in an effort to best serve the user.
>
> On the other hand, I hope the discuss list (for
> instance) can be a venue for folks to get some
> exposure for new and interesting projects.  I
> think writing an article for the journal might be
> another approach.
>
> I *do* see the issue that folks with new projects
> need exposure and feedback.  I'm just not too sure
> how to serve them with existing resources, and
> without diffusing our promotional efforts too much.

Hi,

I agree with you that the front page recommandations should remain for
incubated or in-incubation projects, but does a "OSGeo Labs" page could
be an option for project wanting to join OSGeo? A page with a list of
project that are not part of the OSGeo yet and are not hosted by OSGeo,
but are known by OSGeo as "friends". Or at least a "How to join" page
for new projects could help a lot.

Most of the time when meeting with newcomers to OSGeo I felt that they
were intimidated by the OSGeo infrastructure and that they didn't know
where to start to get information or feedback. Most of the time those
newcomers are users or developpers of projects (often new projects) that
are not part of OSGeo project base. They didn't fell part of OSGeo and
didn't thought to join the mailing-list or advertise on it because their
project was not part of it either.

IMHO, OSGeo mission "to support/promote the development of open source
geospatial software" should also include a starting point or at least
pointers, like someone earlier, on how to join. Something that is not
quite clear from the outside right now. I think this could help to bring
new people, new projects and new ideas. This would also help to get
feedback and avoid duplication of functionalities.

Best regards,
Julien

--
Julien-Samuel Lacroix