[OSGeo-Discuss] UN's program..: ESRI and cities mapping

Jeroen Ticheler Jeroen.Ticheler at fao.org
Thu Oct 4 09:03:29 PDT 2007

Hi Ravi,
As a UN employee I guess I have to react on your statement :-)
As UN we are trying to provide and use quite a bit of open source
technologies. The OSGeo GeoNetwork opensource that I work on is an
example of that and there are a number of other activities existing
or starting up. take a look at the UN produced DVD "GeoNetwork
opensource" that contains nothing but geospatial open source software
and is distributed for free to many people all over the world.
It remains a fact that many applications are (still?) build on
proprietary applications and there is not much wrong with that
happening also. At present I bet there are more developers that work
on proprietary systems and have no interest or knowledge to develop
using open source software and sometimes applications are simply not
there yet in open source. Mind you, I'm saying this as a profound
open source advocate :-)
As said, there are multiple initiatives that support open source, but
the world does not change in a day while many existing problems need
to be addressed immediately.
Ciao,
Jeroen