[OSGeo-Discuss] packaging FOSS GIS for Ubuntu in education

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Fri Oct 26 01:10:03 PDT 2007

Hi Frans,

Frans Thamura wrote:
> Gavin,
>
> our experience with Ubuntu training, you can ask Arnulf christi for
> the detail
>
> 1. we just need Ubuntu in client 2. mirror of ubuntu reposittory.. we
> here copy the repo to 7 DVD, and put in the centralized server 3.
> start training

That would still require to network access.
In the trainings that we give the particpants
a set of CD will have the OS and OSGeo stack
in them. The idea being that once the trainee
returns home, he can make copies of CD and
make use of the tools even if he/she does not
have access to internet or the bandwidth's are
narrow. Right now we do the packaging on Mandriva
Linux, but are thinking of moving to Unbuntu.

We prefer to use CD instead of DVD because many
of the particpants do not have access to DVD reader in
their home countries.

Venka