[OSGeo-Discuss] Association of American Geographers (AAG) Annual Meeting

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Oct 29 23:59:30 PDT 2007

I'm putting the finishing touches on my abstract right now and was
thinking about this topic again.

I think there's plenty of time to still organize a session as long as we
know of at least 4 papers to include in the session and someone wants to
volunteer to chair the session. All we need to do is email Oscar Larson
at meeting at aag.org. What he'll probably tell us to do is make sure that
everyone who is part of the session(s) puts something like "Open Source
  Geospatial" in their keywords so it's easy to pick out and if we can
pull together all the authors on our end and give them a list it
probably wouldn't hurt.

The key is to make sure we get abstracts in. Note, you can still make
minor edits to your abstract after submission but the deadline is this
Wednesday, Oct 31.

On other conference planning items I suggest that someone who is
authorized to speak for OSGeo contact Oscar Larson and sign us up for a
booth. I'll be there to table and hopefully will bring some other new
converts to FOSS with me from my university.

What do you guys think about trying to organize a workshop on something
like: Introduction to QGIS, or Introduction to GIS using QGIS(How to
teach an intro course in GIS with QGIS) based on some of the course
materials being uploaded by various members?

Alex Mandel