[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal Software Translation Portal

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 23:04:45 PDT 2007

Hi,

as you may know, some of the OSGeo software projects
come with translated messages. E.g. GRASS has been
translated (partially) into more than 10 languages.
We (GRASS) have a dedicated mailing list for this and
a translation manager who takes care of synchronization,
update and message standardization.

So far - so nice. But.

We could gain more translators with a Web based
solution (think rainy day and you just want to translate
10 messages and don't want to mess around with .po
files from CVS and so forth).

Our suggestion is to set up a Web based solution for
all interested OSGeo projects (e.g. using "pootle").
To better brainstorm on that, we have made a Wiki page:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Software_Translation_Portal

Comments welcome,

Markus Neteler
Stefano Costa