[OSGeo-Discuss] Are there any thoughts on how organisations canwork with OSGeo projects?

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Thu Sep 27 13:46:35 PDT 2007

Bruce,

I will add some of my own thoughts to those offered by Frank Wammerdam's. Please note that I agree with all of Frank's responses, which were excellent.

Bruce wrote: "What I have seen of OS projects over the last seven years or so is that they are typically run by a group of committed individuals who have a desire for a particular type of product. Focus is often on delivering a quality product that is released 'when it is ready' rather than to a marketing department's timeframe."

I think this is an accurate analysis. Regular releases occur more frequently in proprietary software because you need an incentive for purchases of "upgrades". In open source software this pressure is absent. This can be a two-edged sword. On one side of the blade there is little incentive to "rush" buggy or incomplete code to the customer to satisfy a marketing schedule. One the other side of the sword open source projects can go a long way between "official" or public releases. We've been talking about this a little bit on the OpenJUMP mailing list. We are trying to hammer out a system of benchmarks that can be used to determine when an official release needs to be made.

I'm not sure how much of an impact this issue would have on the situation being discussed. If there is some type of benchmark release system in place, and the contributing organizations want to see a release moved up, they can help reach the benchmarks. If this system doesn't work the organization can always maintain there own build. This is what some programmers do with OpenJUMP.

Bruce wrote: "While there is often an end goal and a set of requirements for a release of a product, it is sometimes difficult to find people interested in spending their own time on the less exciting aspects of a project."

This would include things like minor bug fixes, documentation, user interface consistency, code testing... I think every open source project struggles with this. I can think of two solutions. Pay your own programmers to tackle the tasks or pay other programmers to do it for you. Often you will find you don't have to complete an entire task, just get the framework started and manage it.

For example, an open source program might lack a good user manual. If you organization starts writing one, and sets up a system in which others can contribute content or make editorial suggestions, it may have a snowball effect. Most players in an open source project are very reluctant to duplicate efforts by starting their own pet project. In summary, it might be hard to get someone to write an entire user manual. It would be a lot easier to have them contribute a chapter if the framework is set up. This is just one example.

Bruce wrote: "- Project based funding is typically focused on a deliverable. The deliverable may well be an enhancement to an OSGeo project. How can a development team get that enhancement accepted into an OSGeo Project's code base in a timely manner? Can they be confident that the enhancement would not be removed at a later iteration of the OSGeo Project?"

Here are some suggestions in this regard:

- Avoid giving the impression that you are out to hijack control of the project.
- Communicate, communicate, communicate...
- Maintain, maintain, maintain...
- Consider hiring a programmer already involved in the project to act as your liaison or ambassador.
- Make it clear your enhancement or improvement is being donated to the community, that you are interested in maintaining it, and that you are really making an effort to serve the needs of the community while you meet you own needs or the needs of you client.

We could really do a better job of supporting third parties interested in contributing to open source software. I once considered writing a short article with suggestions on how to do this, but decided not to do so after concerns about "scaring" potential contributors away from open source projects.

Let me know if I can help with more suggestions.

Landon