[OSGeo-Discuss] Are there any thoughts on how organisations canwork with OSGeo projects?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 02:16:13 PDT 2007

Bruce,
Very insightful comments from the perspective of a purchaser/sponsor of
Open Source. On our open source lists we often discuss how Sponsors can
help developers, but we hear less about how developers can address the
concerns of sponsors.

You have me running off to tweak LISAsoft's Open Source Business Plan. :)

Opportunity Management
=================
Your point about project based funding is very valid. Funds are are
allocated in small chunks for short terms which encourages people to get
into an Open Source project, build something, then leave. Low cost of
entry means developers join a project for a few months, then leave,
taking their new found expertise with them.

I think we can partially address this issue by introducing *Opportunity
Management* into Open Source Project Planning.

*Opportunity Management* is the flip of Risk Management, something with
is common practice in most Project Plans and Bid documents.
Risk Management involves identifying what might go wrong, then putting a
plan in place to mitigate the risk.
Opportunity Management involves identifying what might go RIGHT, then
putting a plan in place to make sure it happens.
As developers, we say "if you put a minor invest in documentation, bug,
fixes etc, you will increase the developer base and get lots of
functionality in the future."
As managers, we say "the probability weighted Return On Investment is
increased by investing in Open Source infrastructure".

OSGeo Package Suite
===============
Customers want solutions to problems, and to interface with one seller,
or project. As mentioned by others, this is where commercial
organisations (like Lisasoft) can step in, providing one interface to
multiple, sometimes disjointed projects.

However I think the ground is ripe for a meta-project which aggregates
all the OSGeo projects into one. Ideally, a one click install for
multiple OSGeo packages. I don't think it would take much to seed this
project. In fact the interoperability labs happening in FOSS4G is the
perfect starting point. How I see this happening is:

* A Howto is written which describes how to install an OSGeo baseline
which includes a list of all dependent packages and their versions.
** This can be used to build OSGeo Workshops to be presented as conferences
** Projects maintain their own section of the documentation and set of
dependancies as this will become the most powerful form of advertising
for the project.

* Linux and Windows distributions
** These are built from the package version and dependancy list.
** This becomes part of the one click install

More thoughts I've had on Commercial Support are at:
http://techblog.terrapages.com/2007/04/commercial-support-for-open-source.html