[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Proposal: OSGeo Python Library

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Mon Apr 7 11:57:28 PDT 2008

Hello,
this is a nice idea. Although considering myself still a starter I can
already percieve the glue potential that doing GIS with Python offers.
Esspecially when one thinks of integration GIS and other scientific
software packages that already exist or the ease to distribute python
programs.

> Hacks to the Wiki page and comments welcome,
On that page you mentioned Scipy/Numpy. Please consider the issue about
licence compatibility with Scipy/Numpy wich are both release with a more
liberal licence.

Some information on this:

Scipy/numpy license compatibility
http://www.scipy.org/License_Compatibility

In the end this would mean that (L)GPL liceneced packages developed at
OSGEO will never be integraded by the Scipy coders because they seek
much more liberal licences.
This applies as well to such neat this as the Python bindings of QGIS.

I therefore suggest to release the Python bindings with another licence.
  Refer to SAGA GIS for a example case. The core program is liceneced
with a different licence as the SAGA API.

Interested to hear you opinion.

Kind regards,
Timmie