[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal: OSGeo Cartographic Library

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Mon Apr 14 13:28:18 PDT 2008

Brent Fraser kirjoitti:
> Ari,
>
>   Traditionally, there has been no widely adopted
> vendor/system-independent format for specifying style
> information.  Hopefully now that there is an organization
> (the OGC) addressing open standards for geographic data
> (including styling: SLD) there will be more support for a
> styling standard.

I looked around in the web a bit and found this:
http://utpjournals.metapress.com/content/b584484743vk910g/
(I don't have access to Cartographica so can't read this).

ESRI seems to have .mxd files, which is their map definition file. It's
a binary format and probably not documented. Then they have ArcXML (AXL)
which serves the same purpose () as Mapserver mapfiles. BTW, mapfile
format is a result of a lot of thought and practical experience. I
believe some tools (QGIS?) can export mapfiles (can they import them?).

OGC Styled Layer Descriptor specification does not impress me, and it's
WMS implementation specific.

GDAL has feature style specification:
http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_feature_style.html It has recently gained
some new interest.

In my work I deal a lot with scientific data and geovisualization type
of thing, and it would be very useful to be able to import and export
visualization information files from desktop apps. Sometimes the problem
solving could be based on shared development of such files.

Just thinking out loud,

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma