[OSGeo-Discuss] Simplest of questions (with one, assumption)

Rick Steinberger rste at alignex.com
Thu Apr 17 10:20:56 PDT 2008

Thanks for the quick/informative replies.

I'm looking into the FDO library and it appears that this approach will
not be, as you point out, "especially easy".  I will follow up with the
fdo-users list as I move forward on that front.

There used to be an SDFLoader which could transform various input
formats into SDF(2?) including csv.  This CSV approach was a simple way
to get data from any old legacy system into Mapguide.  Does anything
like the SDFLoader exist to convert csv (or any simple neutral format)
to SDF3?

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:33:13 -0400
> From: Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net>
> Subject: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Simplest of questions (with one
> 	assumption)
> To: OSGeo Discussions <discuss at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:25:07AM -0500, Rick Steinberger wrote:
>
>> It seems that SDF3 is the native data format for mapguide server.  How
>> does one create SDF3 data without commercial software?
>>

> I think the answer is "Use FDO": http://fdo.osgeo.org/
>
> Regards,

Rick, I believe SDF3 is fully supported by the open source FDO library.
So you could use something like fdo2fdo to translate other FDO supported
formats (like shapefiles for instance) into SDF files. I won't claim
this is especially easy ... but, it is possible. The fdo-users list
would be a good place for additional detailed questions on this front.
Best regards,
I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam,
warmerdam at pobox.com light and sound - activate the windows |
http://pobox.com/~warmerdam and watch the world go round - Rush |
President OSGeo, http://osgeo.org ------------------------------