[OSGeo-Discuss] Can I do the same GIS tasks with OS (as with ESRI)?

Randy George rkgeorge at cadmaps.com
Thu Apr 24 14:29:42 PDT 2008

Sorry for the previous blank post.

	Open source is a great boon to small business innovation, as others
have pointed out. Anyone dependent on small business consulting/contracting
will have plenty of uses for open source tools.

	I have also used Jump in place of ArcView for shp viewing (as well
as FWTools, Tatuk, AutoCAD, uDig, Geoserver ...). Shp seems to have become
largely a lowest common denominator interchange format with support
available all over.

Of course ArcGIS/ArcInfo is a much different beast. It would take a good bit
of sophistication to beat it in breadth of spectrum with just a single tool.
There seems to be some kind of open source tool for most of the Arc
bandwidth so you can probably get by without an expensive license with a
little extra work.

randy