[OSGeo-Discuss] Map of Wiki/OSGeo Members

Christian Willmes c.willmes at uni-koeln.de
Thu Aug 14 06:49:10 PDT 2008

Hello,

today I setup a live demo of the mediawiki extension I wrote on a
internet accessible mediawiki installation on Arnulfs server. ->
http://arnulf.us/UserLocalization_Example

In the moment its not really showing what its made for because there are
only two users of this wiki instance in the moment.

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) schrieb:
> How is it going on your project, what is the status? Your efforts
> sound really interesting and could be broadly useful - so I hope you
> can finish it.

It is not the question If I finish it, it is only the question when. ;-)
But I like to work on it and I'm willing to make it better and better.
> I'm not convinced that geocoding IPs is going to be as useful for
> OSGeo though - I think that many members will never use the wiki.
> Recently I checked revisions and more than half the revisions were
> done by only 10 people :) To get the categories set for each user did
> you have to do them manually, or did most people do it themselves
> after the reminder?

Yes, and also the privacy thing is maybe an issue. I think not everybody
wants to have a "track" of his editing locations public accessible. Its
just a nice thing for a geo mashup with the geocoding service I
thought... and there was something about it on the discussion page (
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category_talk:OSGeo_Member ).

I will try to make some more functions and improve it. I would be very
happy for any suggestions for what could be better done or what would be
a good additional function.

Best regards,
Christian