[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo and use of freenode for IRC

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Wed Aug 20 05:48:41 PDT 2008

On Tue, August 19, 2008 06:55, Dave Patton wrote:
> OSGeo makes use of freenode for IRC, including both
> 'general OSGeo channels' such as #osgeo and project-
> specific channels.
>
> 1)
> Has the OSGeo board considered contributing to the
> Peer-Directed Projects Center?
> http://freenode.net/how_to_help.shtml

Dave,
my personal opinion is that it does not make much sense to donate donated
money from one non-profit to another non-profit. If system savvy people
volunteering for SAC want to help out at Freenode they can do that any
time but we are not going to actually ask them to do that though. We are
happy to have such a strong SAC team.

> 2)
> Has the OSGeo foundation, or any of the OSGeo projects,
> done the Group Registration with freenode?
> http://freenode.net/group_registration.shtml

The Mapbender project has contacted Freenode through that sheet twice,
once in 2007 and again three months back, each time with a follow up email
asking for progress. We have never received any reaction whatsoever. If
you think that OSGeo should apply please let me know. I do not seem a
pressing need to do so right now.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

> 3)
> There has been, on more than one occasion, discussion
> about whether to use #foss4g as "the" channel for any discussions relating
> to the FOSS4G conference, or to continue the pattern of creating a new
> channel for each year (e.g. #foss4g2007, #foss4g2008, etc.). Jeff McKenna
> (Conference Committee chair) suggested
> deferring any decision until after FOSS4G2008, so as not to disrupt any
> communications relating to the conference, which makes sense. I only raise
> the issue now because such planning might relate to Group Registration.
> Info on channel registration on freenode:
> http://blog.freenode.net/?p=78
> Also, it is possible to setup a series of channels such
> as #foss4g2009, #foss4g2010, etc., and have /join requests redirected to a
> different channel such as #foss4g (e.g. /mode #foss4g2008 +if #foss4g)
>

> --
> Dave Patton
> CIS Canadian Information Systems
> Victoria, B.C.