[OSGeo-Discuss] Brief history of GIS OSS (bit off topic?)

Paulo Marcondes paulomarcondes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 18:31:01 PDT 2008

> I am dedicating a chapter in my thesis to explaining Open Source Software,
> and OSS for GIS. i searched the web for some history of OSS in general, but
> i found too many different sources. So i come to you, developers of GIS OSS,
> to see if you can give me references of where to search for the history and
> process regarding this theme.

Uai,

George, I guess one of the sources for the history of FOSS is Eric Raymond.

have a look at his pages, www.catb.org/~esr

Also, the fsf(.org) might be a good source.

If all else fails, see the wikipedia.

BTW, I am not mineiro, just happened to live there a while, a while ago.
--
Paulo Marcondes = PU1/PU2PIX
-22.915 -42.224 = GG86jc