Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Brief history of GIS OSS (bit off topic?)

Lucena, Ivan ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Wed Aug 20 21:26:46 PDT 2008

George,

>  I am using to build this system PostgreSQL + PostGIS, QGis and PHP. In
>  advance i would like to thank David Bitner who helped me alot by letting
>  me use his geocoding function for PostGIS.

I guess you should also find support from a native FOSS project in your country, terralib.org. It supports several RDBMS including PostgreSQL (with and without PostGIS) and there is also a TerraPHP API.

You can also find thesis from students from the department where TerraLib is developed at http://www.dpi.inpe.br/geopro/teses.html, including mine :)

List of TerraLib projects: http://www.terralib.org/php/about.php?body=ListofProjects

There was a article with the INPE's FOSS history on this same website but I think they took it off.

Hope it helps,

Best regards,

Ivan