[OSGeo-Discuss] INSPIRE fit/gap analysis

Benjamin Henrion bh at udev.org
Sat Aug 23 13:06:25 PDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 9:26 PM, Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS)
<bartvde at osgis.nl> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I want to toss up an idea with respect to INSPIRE. Most of the standards are
> still in draft, but I think it would be useful for the OSGEO community to
> know which gaps have to be filled in order to play a role in INSPIRE SDI's.
> This e-mail is mostly to see who is interested in both INSPIRE and the OSGEO
> software stack.
>
> I think it could be useful to do an ongoing FIT/GAP analysis between the
> INSPIRE implementing rules and the OSGEO software stack capabilities, so
> that as a community we know where we stand, and we can quickly make sure the
> software stack is ready for INSPIRE. It is an opportunity not to miss IMHO.
>
> If you are interested, can you please sign up with your name on the OSGEO
> Wiki INSPIRE page?
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/INSPIRE
>
> Any further discussion should be done on the OSGEO standards list
> (standards at lists.osgeo.org). So if you are interested and not subscribed,
> please go to:

I have worked quite some time on the INSPIRE directive when it was
discussed in the EU Parliament (see http://publicgeodata.org/).

There is a need to introduce different amendments to national laws in
order to get the data out of the National Mapping Agencies.

With little effort at the national level, you could get a lot of data
out of the NMAs.

But it needs people working on it, and to make a status of the
implementation of the directive in each country.

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-4148403